Friday, February 15, 2013

#47 - Choosing a Prenatal Vitamin: Vitafusion Prenatal Gummies

How appealing is it that you can take your vitamins as gummy bears?! It was really appealing for me until I did my research. :(

Here's what I found:


Meets recommendations for pregnant women for the following:
  • Folic Acid/ Folate
  •  Vitamin D
  •  Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B3
  •  Vitamin A

Exceeds recommendations for pregnant women for the following:
  • Vitamin B12
    • Excess will be excreted via urination
  • Vitamin E
    • Too much vitamin E has been linked to congenital heart defects. However, this is at doses greater than 300 mg per day so this product should not be a problem in terms of vitamin E.
Below recommendations for pregnant women for the following:
  • Vitamin C
    • Easily obtained via diet.
  •  Zinc
    •  zinc deficiency may also cause an increase in preterm birth
    •  The daily requirement for zinc during pregnancy is 15 milligrams, but a higher dose may be needed. That’s because high intake of folic acid can interfere with absorption of zinc and thus create a deficiency of this mineral
    • I think I can make this one up with diet. The vitamin will get me to half the dose and some foods high in zinc include chocolate! , beef, and eggs.
Lacks the following: 
  •  Calcium
    • No calcium in a prenatal vitamin? Seriously?! I would need a calcium supplement considering I drink very little milk
  •  Iron
    • No iron in a prenatal vitamin? Seriously?!
    •  I struggle with iron not pregnant so supplementation for pregnancy will have to be done.
The total lack of calcium AND iron in this vitamin is a deal breaker for me. 

Not to mention it’s also missing these:
·         Vitamin B1
·         Vitamin K
·         Biotin
·         Vitamin B2
·         Vitamin B5
·         Iodine
·         Magnesium
·         Selenium
·         Manganese
·         Chromium
·         Molybdenum

Summary: If I want gummies, I should eat gummies and not try to mix my prenatal nutrition with gummies. 

Verdict: No 


**Disclaimer - I am blogging these to help you learn more about the prenatal vitamins. I'm just a person like you are so do your own research before choosing a vitamin. I'm simply sharing what I learned and what I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment