Monday, February 4, 2013

#35 - Sindoor

I work with a very lovely mix of cultures. Science is truly a melting pot of cultures and traditions. It is not unusual for me to be the only white Appalachian girl in the room at lunch or during meetings. I am often fascinated by the lunches, traditions, and clothing of my coworkers.

India Photograph by NicoleAdamsPhoto on Etsy, $30


One tradition I have yet to figure out is the red spot along the hairline (notice the red in the hair of the woman to the far left in the photo above) of my Indian coworker's hair. She doesn't always have it (I don't think)...just sometimes. So today I decided to learn about the Indian culture a little. :)

The red spot is a symbol of marriage and is made with an Indian cosmetic called Sindoor. The wearing of Sindoor is a Hindu tradition.  Sindoor is first applied to a woman by her husband during their wedding ceremony. The woman then applies the Sindoor daily thereafter.

If a woman becomes a widow there is ceremonial removal of the Sindoor (often by her mother-in-law or sister-in-law).

I think my coworker may only wear the Sindoor occasionally due to the fact that she's in the United States and the practice is more lax. I want to get up the courage to ask her about it but I'm worried I'll offend her since we have somewhat of a language (not to mention cultural) barrier.

So...can any of you all tell me more about the red marking?


No comments:

Post a Comment