Friday, February 8, 2013

#38 - Clownfish Can Change Sex


Handpainted Silk Suncatcher by HandpaintedThreads on Etsy, $51.55 (approximately)

Today I learned (or perhaps relearned...I think I might have known this at some point) that clownfish (think Finding Nemo) can change sex as the needs of their school changes. How unqiue is that! I mean, sure humans can change sex also but it's a long lengthy process that requires medical intervention. It's crazy to think that clownfish can just change on their own.

Also, I learned that clownfish are generally monogamous in a relationship and if the female dies, it's common for male to change sex to become female and then find a male! I have to admit I found that one a little funny. I mean, why wouldn't it just seek out another female and stay the same sex?  Well it turns out that clownfish are all born male.Clownfish live in groups of lots of males and one female (this grouping is called a harem).  So if the female in the harem dies, the dominate male will change sex to become female. It will then choose a breeding partner among the males (usually the most dominant male) and they will be monogamous until something happens that one of them die. Interesting huh?

So then I wondered, can other fish do this? Yep, several other fish are known to change sex including wrasses, blue banded gobies, and moray eels.


1906 Moray Eel Painting, antiqueprintstore on Etsy, $55

No comments:

Post a Comment