Friday, January 11, 2013

#11 - Choosing a Yoga Mat


Super Hero Yoga! :) By RobOsborne on Etsy

 
Earlier this week, I tried Power Yoga and found myself slipping everywhere on the mat at the gym. The mats that the gym provides are all-purpose mats. They aren't used just for yoga but for all floor exercises from simple crunches in a circuit routine to pilates to yoga. So as I'm holding the downward dog pose I found my hands slipping farther and farther away from my feet...I was a mile-long-dog and just trying not to fall by the time we moved to a different pose! This also gave me the giggles and it's really hard to do yoga with the giggles.

So with that being said, I decided if I'm going to make yoga a regular part of my fitness routine, then I need a yoga mat. Not only will it help with the sliding around...but I'm a bit germ-phobic (not to mention, I might have a good reason to be with the current flu epidemic going on) and even though the mats at the gym get wiped down (and I wipe mine down before use), they're still kinda gross as people wear their shoes on them and sweat on them, etc. Also, I think wiping down the mats might also leave a residue on them that makes them even slicker.

Here's what I learned about yoga mats and how to choose one:


1.) Yoga mats come in several thicknesses from about 1/16" to 1/4".


Travel yoga mats are super thin and can easily be rolled up super tiny so they can fit in nearly any luggage/travel bag.

Traditional yoga mats are around 1/8" thick.

Thick yoga mats are around 1/4" thick.

The thicker the mat, the nicer it is on your boney spots (knees, hips, etc) when you're on the floor. However, thicker mats may make it a little it harder to balance in poses. So you have to decide which is more important for you. Personally I like the added stablity challenge and don't like the feeling of my bones touching the floor. But to each their own. :)

This mat by DeviYogaMats on Etsy is extra thick for extra comfort. Not to mention it's beautiful! :)



 

2.) Yoga mats come in different lengths. 


At the gym, I found myself stepping off the front and back of my mat a lot. I'm only 5'3 but even I felt too long for the multi-purpose mat sometimes.

Standard yoga mats are 68 inches long and longer mats can be purchased. Longer mats range from 70-84" long.


 

3). Yoga mats can be made of several different materials. 


Standard yoga mats are made of vinyl (also called PVC). Some yoga mats are made of rubber. Others are made of environmentally friendly materials such as cotton and recycled rubber. If you are allergic to latex, stay away from rubber yoga mats. Check out this unique cotton yoga blanket from TatiHouse on Etsy. This would be perfect for outdoor yoga!  **** TatiHouse has kindly offered 5% off for anyone referred from this blog. Simple enter the code SIMPLESAURUS at checkout! ***




4. Yoga mats have different textures. 


Some yoga mats are smooth while others have bumps to help keep you from sliding if you get sweaty. PVC yoga mats are somewhat sticky so they also help prevent sliding while in yoga poses.
 Check out this sticky mat from FlowYogaDesigns on Etsy.

 

5. There's a huge price range for yoga mats. 


A quick glance online revealed yoga mats can cost as little as $10-100!



Need a bag for your mat? 


Check out this cool handmade yoga mat bag by MyYellowUmbrellaShop on Etsy!













No comments:

Post a Comment