Tuesday, January 22, 2013

#23 - Yin and Yang

Yin Yang Necklace by BeadedAmbrosia on Etsy, $29

Lately I've been learning a little about Feng Shui, an ancient Chinese art of improving life by improving the interaction between man and his environment...more on that later.

During the exploration of Feng Shui, I had to determine whether I am yin or yang. I didn't know people were either yin or yang. I just know the symbol and thought it meant good and evil. That isn't what it means at all.

Yin types tend to have large possibly bulging eyes, slight cheekbones, parted front teeth and cleft chins. These features are typical for individuals born in tropical environments.Yin occupations include research, writing, teaching and other mental jobs.

Yang types tend to have close deep set eyes, eyebrows that slant toward the bridge of the nose and strong cheekbones. The Chinese believe this type originates in a harsh cold environment. Yang occupations include travel, performing arts, sports and other physical jobs.


Here is a quiz to determine whether you are yin or yang.


This quiz (as well as several others) said I am slightly more yin than yang. I have yang features and work in a yin occupation (research). Maybe this is why I sometimes wonder what the heck I am doing in research? Just kidding...that's the funding crisis in research talking. ;) Quizzes keep putting me almost equally yin and yang...I guess that's why I'm crafty and science dorky all at the same time. :)

Applying the Feng Shui principles, as a yang personality with a yin profession my environment should be mostly yin. I have noticed I do well in a calm cool environment...now only if I could create this more often. I shall work on it. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey there!
    Heather here from Beaded Ambrosia.
    **Please, check out my shop Beaded Ambrosia and enjoy 10% OFF any order as a SimpleSaurus reader by entering the code SIMPLESAURUS at check out.**

    I put a lot of thought and love into my jewelry trying to produce things that are beautiful, wearable, and meaningful also. Quality is very important to me and I offer above and beyond customer service as a general rule. Details matter and my shop guests are the most important detail of all. Thanks for stopping by if you choose to and even if you don't, have a wonderful day. :)

    Sarah,
    Thanks so much for the Feature!! <3 The yin yang is probably my favorite symbol ever for achieving Divine balance and understanding in life, or that's how I see and 'use' it. The feng shui interpretations were new to me in reading your article here but nevertheless fascinating. Thank you for adding a new facet to this beloved image for me and incorporating my work into the learning as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeadedAmbrosia

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you stopped by to tell us a little about yourself! Thanks so much for the coupon for my readers!! How cool!!

    The necklace (as well as your other work) is absolutely gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete