Sunday, January 13, 2013

#14 - Five Facts About Peacocks

Over the past year or so, I've noticed peacocks have really made their mark in clothing, accessories, and home decor. The purples, blues, and greens in the peacock's feathers are such a natural beauty.

Peacock Feather Headband by TropicalSnowShoppe on Etsy


So today I saw a peacock feather and realized I really know very little about those beautiful birds. So I did a little research and here's what I found.

1.  Only the male version of the bird is a called a peacock. The female version is called a peahen. That makes sense, though I've never really thought about it before! I assumed peacock was the bird in general.

2. As with most animals, the female of the birds is not bright and ornate like the male version. The beauty of the male peacock is for attracting the female peahen. The peahen is more plain so she is less visible and protect her young, etc.


Peahen and Peacock Paintings by BirdsinHand on Etsy 

3. Peafowl can fly. I had never really thought about this but given their size (4-13 lbs)...it would be a bit on the scary side to see one take off near ya. (For those of you who know how I feel about birds...you know I'd freak out!) 

4. Peacocks have up to 11 different calling sounds! One of their calls sounds like a baby crying.

5. Baby peacocks (peachicks) tail feathers don't fill in for 3 years after they're born! 

Peacock Feather Watercolor by kellybermudez on Etsy

2 comments:

  1. Wow! How interesting! I learned alot from this post:) That is pretty neat info...Thank you so much for including my feather:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! Your headband is gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete