Sunday, January 27, 2013

#27 - Stranded Knitting: Selbu Modern

I have finished and blocked my very first stranded knitting project!

This hat pattern is available for free on Ravelry (click here).

Stranded knitting is so much easier than it looks. You simply leave two yarn skeins attached and knit from the color you need as you go. The other color just floats across (don't pull too tight...let it float loosely behind your work).

Here's some photos of the process. It took me about 3 weeks to finish it (it wouldn't take that long except I kept getting distracted by other projects and of course there's the job...which I'm grateful to have but cuts into my creative time. LOL)

Pattern printed and yarn chosen :) The brown is "bark" and the pink is "cotton candy". Both are from knitpicks and were only about $3 each! Yay for a $6 knitting project!



Contrast band (brown) casted on and first row of pink completed. Stitch markers are your friend! Trust me on this one!




 Ribbing band completed. Stranded knitting begins!  



Hat completed!



Hat completed. Soaking in water to block. Blocking evens out the stitches. Oh my...blocking wool yarn stinks!! Apparently wool releases sulphur when it's blocked and it smells horrible. I guess that's what a wet sheep smells like! yuck!



Hat finished!! :) (still a little damp so no pictures of me wearing it yet)





















1 comment:

  1. What a lovely beret. You did a beautiful job. Thank you for posting as I want to learn to do two-strand knitting.

    ReplyDelete