Sunday, January 20, 2013

#20 - Namaste


Namaste Print by LaurenLPoole on Etsy


So I've been going to yoga for a few weeks now. I'm noticing I've getting more graceful with the poses and more flexible. Today I realized I still don't know what the heck they say at the end of class. Everyone says something (everyone but me...since I don't know what they are saying). So when I got home from yoga today I did a little search to find out what they are saying. They are saying "Namaste".

Namaste is the acknowledgment of soul of one by another. Namaste is a Hindu word and literally translated, it means "I bow to you". Another definition is that "the light within me recognizes the light in you". That explains why they do it as they bring their hands to prayer over the heart at the end of class. The yoga instructor says "namaste" first as a symbol of gratitude and respect for her class. The class then repeats it back to the instructor. Namaste allows individuals to come together energetically and connect.

So with that, I wondered...is namaste religious? From what I can tell, namaste is not really a sign of religion but more a sign of respect and gratitude. It is recognition of our spiritual oneness (regardless of religious beliefs we are one as humankind).

No comments:

Post a Comment