Tuesday, January 29, 2013

#29 - Mini Babybel




Today my snack was wrapped in wax. So I decided I need to know why. I mean it's not everyday you find cheese with wax packaging. (I actually hat to look it up to be sure it was wax and not something I was supposed to eat instead of taking off my cheese!)

According to Babybel ... "The wax that we use for the coating of this product is made up of an appropriate mix of paraffin wax and micro crystalline. There is no Bisphenol A in the wax. Its quality as stated “for food contact “responds to very strict criteria set up by the regulations."

Apparently wax is used instead of plastic because it allows the cheese to breathe since there are live cultures of bacteria in cheese and so the cheese doesn't spoil as quickly as cheese wrapped in plastic. Babybel orginated in France in 1952 but now nearly 75% of the cheese in eaten in places other than France.

I threw away my cheese wax but apparently a lot of people make sculptures with them! Check out this site: Sculpting With Cheesewax for some cool pictures. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment