Sunday, January 20, 2013

#21 - Slipping Sliding Yoga?

Downward Dog Print by corinnaluyken on Etsy



Today I used my new yoga mat for the first time. I have to admit it was nice not having to wash down my mat before working out then still wondering if it was clean. Plus the mats in class aren't yoga mats but are universal floor exercise mats. It was nice to have my yoga mat under me today! I never quite understood why yoga mats are often painted pretty...today I realized how much you look down at your mat during yoga! My green mat with leaves was quite beautiful and soothing. :) Ahhh...it's the little things in life, right?

Unfortunately I still slide everywhere. What can I say... I sweat! Does anyone else have this problem?! Why do my downward dogs become mile-long dogs? They would eventually lead to a belly flop if I didn't release a hand from the mat and wipe it on my shirt then reposition. This is annoying and it really interferes with my class when I have to wipe my hands constantly.

So my quest to stop sliding continues. Here are some ideas to help with the sliding.

  • Wash your new yoga mat. 
    • Apparently new yoga mats are more slippery than "broke in" mats. So some people recommend putting your new mat in the wash machine (on gentle) to help break it in. I noticed today that my new mat smells terrible (like vinyl) so I'm going to wash mine and see what happens. 
  • Put a towel on the top edge of your mat in class.
    • A towel across the top of your mat with give you a place to dry sweaty hands. Also if the towel is on your mat you can put your hands their during downward dog and this should help prevent slipping. However, be sure your towel is ON your mat and not on the bare floor or it might take off without you and you'll be a crashed doggy! 
  • Try a Yogitoes Skidless Towel.
    • I've seen someone with a towel thing on their mat and never knew what it was. These towels are often used for hot yoga. 
    • These towels also prevent wear and tear on your yoga mat.
    • The towels are a bit expensive so I'm going to try washing my mat then putting a towel across the top before looking into the skidless towel option.
  • Try non-slip yoga socks.
    • These socks aren't very expensive and might help with the sliding.  Amazon, Target, and many other stores all sell "yoga socks" that are non-slip. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting my downward dog yoga print!
    Lovely blog... namaste,

    Corinna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome Corinna! I love the print! That's about how yoga looks at my house! :D

    ReplyDelete